• Choose an arguable topic, research the topic, and form a discussion. Topics will be
approved by me in the proposal stage.
• Present a persuasive thesis, which takes a stand on a particular issue and attempts to bring
readers into agreement with that thesis.
• Your paper should be 8-10 pages when formatted correctly (this does not include the
works cited page.)
• Utilize at least 7 outside sources, of any type. Those sources should be high-quality and
present the best information or opinions available on the matter at hand. At least one of
those sources should adopt a viewpoint which is different from your thesis.
• Include at least 2 visual elements: 1 chart/table/graph & 1 photo/image/drawing. Those
visual elements should include captions as well as explanations in the essay of the text,
and be properly cited. Combined images cannot take more than 1/2 page of the length.
• Follow a clear structure (Rogerian or Toulmin) designed to have the most positive impact
on your thesis.
• Follow MLA page formatting and citation guidelines (in-text and Works Cited). Each
source listed must be used in the text or no credit is given for that source. An essay
cannot be successful without both present. (no more than 20% outside information in
• Follow academic voice; no personal pronouns (I, me, my, your, you, our, we, one, us)