two page paper visual culture
- Read Sturken and Cartwright (Chapter 10 pp. 389–397).
- Think: Not only is art involved in commercial sales and commodities, but it is intrinsic in science and technology. How many of our medical technologies rely on visual imaging? What would our lives be like if news programming did not have access to images?
- Prepare a two-page paper to debate the value of teaching visual literacy to primary and secondary students. Discuss the pro and con positions for this debate. Defend your final stance on the topic. Be sure to include ideas from several of the units through this course to justify your stance.
Data Analysis 1: Metabolism & Energy
Graph the following limiting factors of photosynthesis (3 graphs) and answer the
application and analysis questions that follow.
Rate of Photosynthesis: CO2 uptake
CO2 concentration (ppm)
Irradiance (cd/m2) Rate of
-5.0 0 18.5 6
0 1 19.2 7
5.0 2 19.6 8
10.0 3 19.8 9
15.0 4 20.0 10
17.0 5 20.0 11
Temperature (◦C) Rate of
11.0 10 14.0 40
15.0 15 12.0 45
18.0 20 7.0 50
18.5 25 2.0 55
20.2 30 0 60
1. Infer what the rate of photosynthesis would if the concentration of carbon dioxide
continued to rise to 2000 ppm. Why do you believe this to be true? Defend your answer!
2. Based on the data and the shape of the graph, describe the effect that irradiance (light
intensity) has on the rate of photosynthesis.
3. Suggest why you believe that the rate of CO2 uptake has a negative value at zero
irradiance or light intensity.
4. Based upon this data do you believe that there is an optimum temperature that
maximizes photosynthesis? If so, what is that temperature?
5. What explanation can be drawn for the shape of the curve? How can you explain the
existence of an optimum temperature for photosynthesis? Defend your answer!