The press is often called “The Fourth Estate” because of its role in checks and balances against government corruption and the abuse of power. If an elected official is exposed for abusing their position by a journalist, voters have the information to impeach, recall, or at least vote in a successor. Well-informed people are a critical part of a healthy democracy.
In this Assignment, you will consider why a free press is a necessary, even critical, part of democracy and social change.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Read the guidelines for “Professional Writing in the Communication Program.”
- Read “Why Freedom of the Press is More Important Now Than Ever.”
- Watch the four (4) required videos in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Research State run media and the free press.
By Day 7
Write a 1-2-page paper that addresses the following:
- Why is a free press important in Western democracies?
- How does a State run media threaten personal freedom?
- Why is a free press important for Walden’s positive social change mission?
Please Note: Be sure to reference at least one scholarly or popular source to support your answers.
Questions about this Assignment? Post them in the Contact the Instructor area. That way, everyone in the class will see, and benefit from, the Instructor’s response.
Refer to the Week 5 Assignment Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the