COMPARATIVE DIY ART PROJECT
Due: April 5, May 1. submitted via Canvas or in person.
Worth 100 points. Five points will be deducted per day for late assignments. No late assignments will be accepted after the Unit 4 test.
Project Description: For this project, you will choose one of the works of art we have discussed in class and analyze its formal and cultural elements. Then, you will create your own work based on the image you have chosen, drawing upon your own cultural and visual experience. Finally, you will compare and contrast your creation with the original work in an artist’s statement.
Format: Four paragraphs, double-spaced, 12-point font with one-inch margins. Attach an image of your creation to your written component before submitting it.
Your final project should include ALL of the components listed below:
In the first paragraph, identify the work you have selected by title, artist (if known), culture, date
(if known) and medium. Briefly describe the work, its subject, and its purpose. Relate the art object to the historical and cultural conditions that contributed to its creation.
Artists convey meaning through the subjects they choose, but also through color, line, shape, form, or other visual elements. In the second paragraph of your project, explain how the artist conveys his or her meaning through visual elements. If the art is made for a particular place, consider the setting and audience, as well.
You do not need to be an accomplished artist—you will not be graded on artistic ability, but rather on your engagement with the material and your responses to questions posed in the assignment.
3. A one-paragraph artist’s statement explaining your own artistic choices and how they relate to the artwork that served as your inspiration:
– Why did you choose the subject matter? medium? style? How do your choices
compare and contrast with those of the artist?
- How does your creation speak to your own cultural influences and the world around you?
- What did you learn about the artist, yourself, and the creative process as you made your
- 4.Documentation: Research beyond the material presented in class and readings is not required for this assignment. However, if you use internet or other resources for your analysis, be sure to document them using the “Citing Resources” guide. Failure to cite sources constitutes plagiarism and is grounds for disciplinary action. If you have questions, consult the syllabus and/or consult with me.
HONORS STUDENTS: You are only required to complete Part 1 of this assignment. Your Exhibition or Studio Art project for the honors contract fulfills Parts 2, 3 and 4
selected artist: Robert Ameson