Watch the Movie “When The Mountains Tremble” and respond to the following questions. (Will provide movie link)
INCLUDE INTRODUCTION. Each question has it’s own paragraph.
- What was the “Ten Years of Spring” (1944-1954)? Which factor(s) would you consider more important in causing the U.S. to become concerned during this era: the United Fruit Company or fear of communism?
- How did Guatemalan officials use terror to force the people to “behave?” Provide several examples from throughout the film.
- How do the Guatemalan officials use the indigenous culture? What is the reality for the indigenous people? Provide examples.
- Why does the government label people as subversive? Who are they really?
- According to the film, “Declassified Message” and “Memory of Fire,” what were the underlying factors that led to U.S. involvement in the 1954 overthrow of Guatemala’s president, Jacobo Árbenz?
- Were internal or external factors more important in Árbenz’s downfall?
- What was Guatemala’s civil war, and how is Árbenz’s overthrow related to this tragic time in history?
- Overall, how would you rate this film as an historical source?
May use outside research if cited. Follow rubric guidelines attached.