Watch Movie “The Second Mother” (will provide link)
Write a 2.5-3 page response paper answering the following questions:
INCLUDE INTRODUCTION. Each question has it’s own paragraph.
- How does race play a role throughout the movie? How do we see Brazilians notion of race, class, and ethnicity?
- What is the significance of the movie title?
- What is the significance of the pool scene?
- How does Val break traditions and why?
- How do we see hegemonic ideas of class and race throughout the film? Provide at least two specific examples.
- How does Jessica resist or break traditions within the film?
- Do you see Val as a strong character? Why or why not?
- Have ideas about race and class changed in Brazilian culture?
- Overall, how would you rate this film as a historical source?
Rubric attached for specific guidelines.
Response Paper Rubric
Papers are due Sundays by 11:59PM. Although only 1-2 pages long, your response papers should include the following:
Introduction (20 pts)
1) Your introduction should provide the title of the film and its country of origin, and readings you will discuss.
2) The introduction should describe the type of film you viewed; for example, documentary, animated feature, fictional narrative.
3) Your introduction also will include the thesis—or main argument—of the film.
Body of Paper (40 pts)
1) You should address each of the response paper prompts in the body of your paper.
2) This section also will utilize the primary source(s).
Conclusion (20 pts)
1) In your conclusion you will provide your analysis of the film as an historical source.
2) You also will sum up your paper.
Overall Guidelines (20 pts)
1) Your paper should be well-written, with topic sentences and free from misspellings
and other grammar issues. Remember: your paper should be 1 page long, but no more than 1 page.