Week 4: Valuing Your Audience
The objectives of this group discussion are to help you:
- Understand the importance of online metrics
- Identify digital metrics that are used to optimize websites
- Explore the metrics you could use on your WordPress Portfolio
A metric is a standard of measurement. In the entertainment industry we must look at many types of digital metrics in order to properly assess our audience. Looking at Google Analytics you can find countless metrics and reports that would be beneficial for entertainment and businesses.
To get started, please follow these steps to get enrolled, and credited for the work. If you don’t already have one, please set up a personal Gmail account.
First Post – due Wednesday by 11:59pm EST
1. Go to:
2. Select Google Analytics for Beginners
3. Go through the tutorials in Units 1, 2, 3, and 4
4. Complete the assessments at the end of each unit and take a screenshot of each completed assessment that shows a 100% grade (example below).
**You are able to reset the questions to take it multiple times**
5. Submit ALL 4 assessment screenshots to this post on Wednesday by 11:59pm EST using the IMAGE FEATURE (NOT attached like a file).
- Answer the following questions (minimum of 4-5 sentences each):
- Why are digital analytics important?
- Why is it important to create a ‘Raw’ view of data?
- How does Google Analytics track data?
- What kind of data is Google Analytics able to track?
- Why do you think it would be beneficial to add Google Analytics tracking data to a business website, or your WordPress portfolio? (You MUST list something because this will be analyzed by your classmates in the response post.)
- What is a Bounce Rate? How can it be used to better a website?
- No references are needed this week for your initial post.
Second Post – due between Thursday and Sunday by 11:59pm EST
Do not limit the second discussion post to “I agree,” “That’s great” and so forth. Substantiate the position by using meaningful observations to corroborate it, such as professional experiences, relationships, and citing scholarly sources etc. when appropriate. As a guide for high quality response posts, use the RISE model, which encourages the steps as outlined in the rubric.
(For your Response Post)
1. Looking at another student’s post, provide a few additional examples of why adding Google Analytics tracking code would be beneficial to a business website, or your WordPress portfolio?
2. What metrics in Google Analytics do you think businesses pay attention to?
3. Second post must be a minimum of one paragraph and must be made on a separate day than your initial post
The RISE Model:
- Reflect: To recall, ponder, and communicate
- Inquire: To seek information and/or provide ideas through questioning
- Suggest: To introduce ideas for improvement of current iteration
- Elevate: To raise to a higher degree or purpose of future iterations