The project assignment provides a forum for analyzing and evaluating relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered.
The current literature is replete with information on the value of information technology in healthcare. As the industry further seeks achievement of safe quality care, cost control, access, HIT enhancement or new projects must be aligned with organizational strategic planning and demand of external environment. HIT governance has an important role in addressing alignment between strategic IT, organizational strategic planning, and the external environments.
- Develop ten questions that will evaluate the alignment of IT projects with organizational strategic planning and external environment. Explain the intent of each question for evaluating HIT alignment with strategic planning and external environment.
- Interview a senior healthcare leader of a local healthcare facility and ask about his or her IT governance and his or her roles and responsibilities and effectiveness.
- Finally, ask the senior healthcare leader using the ten questions that you developed and evaluate his or her HIT alignment. Also, evaluate his or her responses if there is an alignment with HIT strategies, strategic planning, and external environment.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the
South University Online Library
. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
- Name your file as SU_MHA6120_W4_Project_LastName_FirstName.
- Your assignment should be addressed in a 4- to 6-page document.
- By the due date assigned, submit it to the Submissions Area.
The following resources are provided for this project:
From your course textbook, Information Systems for Healthcare Management, review the following chapter:
- HIT Governance and Decision Rights
From the Internet, review the following:
- Beckers Hospital Review. (2012). How to align HIT with business strategy: Novant health case study. Retrieved from https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare-information-technology/how-to-align-hit-with-business-strategy-novant-health-case-study.html
- Gattadahalli, S. (2013). Ten practices for health IT strategic planning. Retrieved from http://journal.ahima.org/2014/01/01/ten-practices-for-health-it-strategic-planning/
- Health Information and Management Systems Society. (n.d.). Strategy & planning. Retrieved from https://www.himss.org/strategy-planning
- McNickle, M. (2012). 5 tips for creating a strategic plan for IT. Retrieved from https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/5-tips-creating-strategic-plan-it
- Overby, S. (2017). Anatomy of an IT strategic plan in the era of digital disruption. Retrieved from https://www.cio.com/article/2437285/it-strategy/anatomy-of-an-it-strategic-plan.html