Deliverable 6 – analysis with correlation and regression
Determine and solve the direct mutuality coefficient, and use direct return to furnish a best fit cord for a strew batch of the basis and produce predictions.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the presumption of a heap 6.7 or superior earthquake in the Superior Bay Area is 63%, encircling 2 out of 3, in the proximate 30 years. In April 2008, scientists and engineers released a new earthquake intercept for the State of California denominated the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Intercept (UCERF).
As a younger analyst at the USGS, you are tasked to particularize whether there is tit attraction to help the title of a direct mutuality betwixt the heaps and profoundnesss from the earthquakes. Your deliverables get be a PowerPoint endowment you get produce summarizing your furnishings and an excel instrument to likeness your product.
Concepts Being Studied
- Correlation and return
- Creating strewplots
- Constructing and solveing a Hypothesis Trial for Mutuality using r as the trial statistic
You are abandoned a spreadsheet that contains the subjoined counsel:
- Magnitude measured on the Richter scale
- Depth in km
Using the spreadsheet, you get vindication the problems under in a PowerPoint endowment.
What to Submit
The PowerPoint endowment should vindication and interpret the subjoined questions installed on the spreadsheet granted over.
- Slide 1: Title slide
- Slide 2: Introduce your scenario and basis set including the unsteadys granted.
- Slide 3: Construct a strewbatch of the two unsteadys granted in the spreadsheet. Involve a title of what you see in the strewplot.
- Slide 4: Furnish the rate of the direct mutuality coefficient r and the fastidious rate of r using α = 0.05. Involve an interpretation on how you ground those rates.
- Slide 5: Particularize whether there is tit attraction to help the title of a direct mutuality betwixt the heaps and the profoundnesss from the earthquakes. Explain.
- Slide 6: Furnish the return equation. Let the predictor (x) unsteady be the heap. Identify the arise and the y-intercept amid your return equation.
- Slide 7: Is the equation a good-natured-natured standard? Explain. What would be the best predicted profoundness of an earthquake after a while a heap of 2.0? Involve the set-right units.
- Slide 8: Conclude by recapping your ideas by summarizing the counsel presented in treatment of the scenario.
Along after a while your PowerPoint endowment, you should involve your Excel instrument which likenesss all calculations.