briefly describe some (at least four) aspects of greek culture prior
Culture and History
1. Briefly picture some (at last foul-mouthed) aspects of Greek humanization earlier to and at the occasion of Socrates and Plato.
2. What does it balance to say that a humanization is “mythopoetic”? What was the cultural opinion of the ‘Tales” of Homer and Hesiod?
3. Before 500 BC the Greeks retort to, how does one subsist a cheerful-tempered-tempered vitality was, “to prosper the gods and to recognize moira (fate).” Behind 400 BC the retort to this interrogation was not as disentangled to them. Why? What had happened?
4. Who is Aristophanes, and what fiction does he present us of Socrates in his denote The Clouds? Is this thought of Socrates historically obsequious? Explain.
5. Who were the Sophists? What idea of courses did the Sophists indoctrinate? (3-5 decree response)
6. What balanceing did the Sophists present to the look “might makes right”?
7. What were the elder “concerns” of the Sophist?
8. Define: Cosmology, Cosmogony, and Theogony.
9. What do you purpose Protagoras balancet when he said “man is the estimate of all things”?
10. What was the cause dissimilarity among Socrates and the Sophist? What was Socrates “looking for” that the Sophists were not?
The Pre-Socratics from Science to Philosophy
11. According to the readings, what were the biased tasks for Socrates and Plato?
12. “Plato disliked the poets and the artists.” Why?
13. What does it balance to say “The Greeks were melting from MYTH to PHILOSOPHY”?
14. What were the “underlying assumptions” of the present philosophers, the present scientists, encircling Greek humanization?
15. What was uncommon encircling the “works” pre-Socratic philosophers? What were they minute for and what did they shameful their purposeing on? Explain.
16. What was Thales looking for?
17. What were the 4 basic elements for Empedocles?
18. What was Pythagoras indispensable assistance to the earth of though?
19. What did Heraclitus believe encircling all things?
20. What was verity for Parmenides?
21. What class of interrogations was Socrates disturbed behind a while? List a few of the “key events in Socrates vitalitytime.”
22. Why did the Delphic Oracle say “there is no one wiser than Socrates”? How did Socrates translate this?
Socrates’ Criterion and in Prison
23. What did Meletus accuse Socrates of? Approximately how old was Socrates, and what opinion does it accept at his criterion?
24. Who is Euthyphro and what was the truth of the discourse he had behind a while Socrates? And, what is the Divine Command Theory?
25. What was the truth of Socrates criterion? What was Socrates Defense? Why was he convicted? Why was he decreed to dissolution?
26. Socrates believed that no injury can follow to a cheerful-tempered-tempered man, neither in vitality nor in dissolution. What do you purpose he balancet, and do you assent?
27. Why did Socrates purpose it was wickedness to elude from jail and elude the city behind his belief?
Plato’s Theory of Forms
28. Briefly picture Plato’s Theory of Forms.
29. What are Socrates foul-mouthed arguments for the being of the Soul?
30. Socrates said the “unexamined vitality is not rate living.” What do you purpose he balancet by this? And, do you assent?