This paper will get you used to using professional journals in exploring the field of human sexuality. For your paper, you must first find a topic within the field of human sexuality that interests you (explore the course outline and your textbook for inspiration) and for which you can find three (3) peer-reviewed journal articles. Each article should present original research data (not just a discussion, opinion, review, or theoretical paper), and all articles should directly relate to the topic you have chosen. When writing the paper, you should use the following format:
- Introduction – State the topic you chose and why you were interested in it.
- Research – Summarize in your own words the findings of each of the studies that you read. What is the purpose of each study? What was learned in each? Be sure to go beyond what is contained in the abstract alone.
- Evaluation – In discussing each study, give your own evaluation. How good was each study? Why? Do you agree with the conclusions drawn by the authors? Why or why not? Could the findings be explored another way?
- Summary – After presenting the individual studies, tie them together. What do they have in common? Do their findings fit together in any way? What have you learned about the topic you chose?
Each paper must follow APA formatting. Be sure to use in-line citations and references to avoid plagiarizing. Your paper must be typewritten and be no more than 5 double-spaced pages. Additionally, copy the abstract (summary paragraph at the beginning of each journal article) for each of the three (3) articles and attach these copies with your paper. You can cut-and-paste the abstracts on pages after the Reference page.
Sample APA formatting: https://my.ilstu.edu/~jhkahn/APAsample
Sample APA reference guide: https://apastyle.apa.org/instructional-aids/reference-guide
If you have any questions, please come see me after class or during office hours. You can also visit the Writing Center for further help.
Directions to Submit
Submit your work here in the CANVAS system as a Word 97-2003, x or other word processing file. (
are also acceptable. If you are using iWorks, please convert to one of these file formats, as sometimes it can be difficult to view your document.)
- On the right hand Menu, you will see a SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT button with a white plus sign.
- Click on the SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT Then click BROWSE to look for your file on your computer.
- When done, click the SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT button.