You MUST follow the requirements of the assignment in terms of using and citing evidence if you want to maximize your chances of scoring well.
For Homework Assignment #3 please answer ONE of the following:
- Compare and contrast the response of the Makah people to efforts to assimilate them to white American culture in the late 1800s with those of the Colville people. Use evidence from BOTH Mourning Dove AND “Subsistence and Survival: The Makah Indian Reservation, 1855–1933,” to support your answer.
- Describe how issues of race and/or social class influenced relations between different groups of people in the Northwest in the late 1800s. You must use evidence from The Organic Machine AND at least one other textual source assigned for Week 4 to support your answer.
The following are the requirements for the assignment:
- Your answer should be between half a page and one page in length, typed double space.
- You MUST use evidence from the required reading and you MUST provide citations in the text of your homework to the evidence you are using to support your response to the question.
- Watch for incorrect grammar, spelling, etc. The quality and clarity of your writing will play a role in the grade you earn on assignments.
- Use PAST TENSE! (but don’t change quotes).
- Don’t use your personal voice: E.g. avoid “I think” or “in my opinion.”
– Use where paraphrasing weakens the idea.
– Not too long – keep to 2 lines or less.
– All quotes should have a transition or introduction – they can’t just be inserted in a paragraph as a standalone sentence.
The assignment is due at the start of class on FRIDAY, Jan. 24. Homework assignments must be submitted in hard copy at the start of class on the day they are due – I won’t accept late assignments, except in cases of documented emergency.
Each homework assignment is worth 50 points.