INSTRUCTIONS is ATTACHED
Symmetric Encryption using Vigenere Cipher
1. Click on File from the menu and select New.
2. Enter (paste) the following text in the window:
On September 25, 1789, the First Congress of the United States proposed 12 amendments to the Constitution. The 1789 Joint Resolution of Congress proposing the amendments is on display in the Rotunda in the National Archives Museum. Ten of the proposed 12 amendments were ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures on December 15, 1791. The ratified Articles (Articles 3–12) constitute the first 10 amendments of the Constitution, or the U.S. Bill of Rights. In 1992, 203 years after it was proposed, Article 2 was ratified as the 27th Amendment to the Constitution. Article 1 was never ratified.
3. Click on the Encrypt/Decrypt.
4. Select Symmetric (classic) from the drop down list.
5. Select Vigenere….
6. Enter a key ORANGE (you may want to try the encryption with other keys).
7. Click Encrypt.
8. Capture this screen (use PRTSCR key or SHIFT + PRTSCR on your keyboard) in Windows and paste the screenshot below.
Encryption with DES in CBC mode
1. Repeat the first three steps of the process in Exercise 1 and select Symmetric (Modern).
2. Select DES (CBC)….
3. In the pop-up window, select Encrypt (you may want to try the encryption with other keys).
4. Capture this screen (use PRTSCR key or SHIFT + PRTSCR on your keyboard) in Windows and paste the screenshot below.
Asymmetric encryption using RSA Encryption
1. Repeat the first three steps of the process in Exercise 1 above and select Asymmetric.
3. Select SideChannelAttack (in the Last Name column).
4. Click Encrypt.
5. Capture this screen (use PRTSCR key or SHIFT + PRTSCR on your keyboard) in Windows and paste the screenshot below.
6. Close CrypTool.
1. On your computer, create a text file made up of at least five pages of text. The text can be anything you would like.
2. Save the file on your C:\ drive as TEXT.txt
3. Open CrypTool.
4. Click on File.
5. This time, select Open.
6. Browse to C:\TEXT.txt
7. Click on Encrypt/Decrypt.
8. Select Asymmetric.
9. Select RSA Encryption….
10. Check the Display Encryption Time box at the bottom of the page.
11. Select SideChannelAttack (in the Last Name column) in the window.
12. Click Encrypt.
13. A window with the “RSA encryption time:” message will pop up. Capture this screen (use PRTSCR key or SHIFT + PRTSCR on your keyboard) in Windows and paste the screenshot below.
Notice that the RSA encryption time is relatively large for similar computing tasks. Symmetrical encryption, for instance, would take less than 0.001 seconds to encrypt the same text.
This is a short paper that requires you to study the provided scenario, research its questions/problems, and provide analysis and recommendations.
You are the Information Security Officer at a medium-sized company (1,500 employees). The CIO asks you to identify and describe the top three known Windows and the top three known Linux server shortcomings/vulnerabilities. Explain how you can be kept up to date on this topic. Describe what can be done to make the server infrastructure more secure.
· This is an individual assignment, i.e. not a team or partner assignment.
· Use a three-paragraph format: an introduction/scenario recap, analysis, and conclusion.
· Provide an APA style reference page with at least two references.
· Double-spaced, font size 10 or 11.
· 500 word minimum, not including your name, title, or references.
WEEK 2: EXERCISE—ENCRYPTION ACTIVITY
Use your favorite browser to access
https://www.cryptool.org (Links to an external site.)
. The FREE DOWNLOADS area on the top right of the page has three download options: CrypTool 1, CrypTool 2, and JCrypTool. Click on the CrypTool 1 link. Download the CrypTool 1.4.41 English version and install the software on your personal computer.
SEC280/Sec280Week2_Template x (Links to an external site.)
and complete all four activities as explained in the Word document. You will need to capture screenshots and paste them into the Word document.
Below is a video that can help you complete this assignment. Do not uninstall the CrypTool software from your computer until you complete Week 4’s exercise in two weeks.