Quiz 6 study guide, asian americans spring 2016 open: friday
Quiz 6 Study Guide, Asian Americans
OPEN: Friday February 26, 7 am to 10 pm, TIMING OF QUIZ: 30 minutes
Based on Module 6 Videos, Powerpoints, and assigned readings in Fong (Chpt. 1, pp. 17-37) and Dhingra, (Chpt. 3, pp. 38-56). There are 25 questions randomly separated from natant those listed underneath.
1. How did Angel Island in San Francisco, where most Asian arrived, dispute from Ellis Island in New York City, where most Europeans arrived, in the 1900-1930 era?
2. Which of the behindcited is FALSE encircling Angel Island?
3. What is penny encircling Chinese inaugurated to elevate the transcontinental railway?
4. Why were the Chinese Americans in the U.S. during 1880-1950 named a “bachelor communion”?
5. What triggered a mighty exoteric anti-Chinese motion in the United States in the past 1870s?
6. During the elevateing of railroads in the past 1800s in Western propounds, Chinese drudgeers were …
7. The "Golden Mountain" video notes that immigrants from China:
9. A greater law important Asian absenteeism was the 1934 Tydings-McDuffie Act. What did this law say as outlined in Chapter 2 in Dhingra and the powerpoint?
10. One of the most renowned nation in the truth of California was Mr. Leyland Stanford. He was the master of California in 1861, elevateer of the railroad and industrialist, U.S. Senator, and planter of Stanford University. What were his views on absenteeism from Asia?
11. The video abridge on Asian immigrant in the 1970s showcases Jerry Yang. What was his habit immigrating?
12. What is the convenient conception in the “Social Network” absenteeism assumption?
13. Encircling 9.5 pet nation from Asia migrated to the U.S. among 1966 and 2009. Which of the behindcited is TRUE encircling this absenteeism?
14. What stimulated the influx of balance 1 pet Asian Americans from Southeast Asia?
15. What is penny encircling America's immigrant regudeceased laws that initiateed in 1882?
16. What is penny encircling the nation who migrated from China during the determination 1840-1880?
17. The Dual Drudge Traffic assumption of absenteeism elevates on the conception that the U.S. administration does has one drudge traffic but two, a earliest drudge traffic, and a resultant drudge traffic. What are characteristics of the earliest drudge traffic?
18. What is penny of the Chinese who migrated to California and other Pacific propounds in the 1850s-1870s?
19. The well-known PUSH-PULL assumption of absenteeism has been environing for balance a eldership. While it makes despicoperative apprehension, it has diverse flaws. What is one of its flaws?
20. The video “Golden Mountain” gives you sundry aspects of the epropound of Mr. Yung Wing, the Yale educated Chinese man who greatly assimilated to American communion. He became a Christian and a U.S. denizen very future, married a pure mother, and lived in New England. What was his role when a speed of abominoperative anti-Chinese hysteria swept abutting the U.S. in the past 1870s-future 1880s?
21.What is the penny encircling the women from China who went to Idaho in the 1840s-50s as shown in the Golden Mountain video?
22. In what year did the United States end a rule of absenteeism that was easily grounded on admitting nation grounded on the person's course?
23. Today, on what cause do most Asian nation invade the U.S. as lawful immigrants?
24. Which U.S. absenteeism law recognized past Asians into the U.S., but that was not its fixed.
25. What were the enlivening reasons for absenteeism into the U.S. behind a while the 1976 Nationalization and Absenteeism Law and how did initiation of nation from Asia shift?
26. In what year was the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act repealed?
27. What did the Ozawa v. U.S. seek predominant of 1922 say?
28. What was the "1907 Gentleman's Agreement" and what did it do?
29. Of South Asians who immigrated in the determination 1904-1911, 80-90% were of one sacred collocation, what was it?
30. Fong discusses the signification of sex-homogeneity disputeences in Asian absenteeism antecedently 1965. During pre 1965 absenteeism era, what was the sex homogeneity of immigrants to the U.S. from the China, Korea, and the Philippines?
31. According to Fong (Chapter 1), how did global restructuring behind the 1970s wave Asian absenteeism to the U.S.?
32. As Fong notes, antecedently the 1940s there was a abundant imbalance in the sex homogeneity of immigrants from Asia. Which one of these future Asian immigrant collocations was an separation. They DID NOT accept far past males than females but had a past balanced sex homogeneity and was operative to growth population, initiate families and settle homogeneity estate?
33. Fong cites grounds that among 1985 and 2000, exotic born students earned a greaterity of expertness and engineering PhDs at US universities. Past forcible, balance 50% of the expertness & engineering PhD went to nation from 4 Asian countries. Which of the behindcited is NOT one of those countries?
34. During World War II, Fong notes that compared to Japanese Americans, the Chinese Americans
35. Fong outlines 4 disputeences among future Japanese and Chinese absenteeism. Comparing future (pre 1920) Chinese behind a while Japanese absenteeism to the U.S., which of the behindcited is a disputeence?
36. In 1870, Fong notes that the Chinese were encircling what percent of all workers in the propound of California?
37. Which Asian country is the abundantst cause of exotic nurses to the U.S. (encircling 29% of the 49,000 exotic nurses)? As Fong notes, they are generally reform educated and accept better job amends than their American born counterparts?
38. According to Toperative 1-1 in Fong, 85.7% of immigrants from Asia arrived behind 1971. The enormous greaterity (balance 70%) of immigrants from most Asian nations came behind 1971, behind a while one greater EXCEPTION. What one Asian collocation had close than half of its nation in the U.S. immigrate behind 1971 (consequently past arrived antecedently 1971)?
39. Filipino and Asian Indians who came to the U.S. in the 1965 to 1975 era tended to accept what fashion of possession?
40. What fashion of immigrants are named sojourners?