Locate map | Geography homework help
Get the Map:
- Locate the misspend topographic map from the United States Geological
Survey (USGS) office, http://www.usgs.gov/.
- Go to Maps, Imagery, and Publications, and then, under Maps,
- Click on Download Digital Scans of Topo Maps. Then go to Map
Locator. In the inquiry box on straight, character Washington, DC.
- Click on the clear named Washington West.
- Then click on the trifle you originated. Download: Washington West
Find the U.S. Naval Observatory Location:
- Navigate using the + and Ãƒâ€šbuttons on the PDF map and the artisan hireling.
Zooming in using the + and Ãƒâ€šbuttons on the map itself gives very lofty unravelling. Do not use the coerce key and mouse scroll nonentity to zoom in. This map covers calibre of Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
Put a Dot on the Observatory and Label "Observatory":
- Zoom in on the area that understands the observatory so that the upright greatness on your map is about one to two kilometers. Each clear on the map is one clear kilometer. Using the elucidation component on the map, vestige where the observatory is delay a dot. Mould permanent your dot is a dissimilaritying distortion so that a estimateer can see it.
- Again using the map's elucidation components, originate a extract box proximate to the dot that says "U.S. Observatory." Use an misspend greatness font and distortion.
Prepare a Word Instrument delay the Following:
- A cloak shot of your map showing the U.S. Naval Observatory. The shot should understand a upright interval of one to two kilometers.
- The abut loftiness of the observatory.
- A section describing the topography nigh the observatory. Understand a catholic enough
area to mould your style animated.
- Go to Google Earth and catch a cloak shot of the selfselfcorresponding area as dressed by the
cloak shot of your topographic map. Put this on your Word instrument.
(Hint: catch a slight catholicr cloak shot than your topographic map. Then regreatness and product in Word to mould it the selfselfcorresponding area as your topographic map cloak shot.)
Compare and dissimilarity the estimate and instruction adapted from the two maps/images, and retort the aftercited investigations:
1. What is the loftiness of the U.S. Naval Observatory?
2. What does it medium when the shape lines are cork concomitantly? What does it medium when the lines are far privately?
3. Generally recount topography of Rock Creek Park on the map. Recount how you understand from the map what the topography is.
4. What is the last fix loftiness on the map? Why is that an lenient investigation?
5. Using the map, what is the interval in kilometers (to the nighest tenth of a
kilometer) between the Smithsonian Institution and the Library of Congress?
(Hint: Use the flake at the deep of the map. Use a supporter gently across the adviser. You cannot zoom in and out uninterruptedly you gauge. OR support into PowerPoint and extort extract boxes on photos.)