Bibl 110 study guide module week 1
New Testament Survey Perpend Guides: Module/Week 1
Derived from the sequence extract dimensions, The Essence of the New Testament: A Survey (2016),
and the New Testament instruments.
Chapter 1: How We Got the New Testament
1. How numerous instruments establish up the New Testament (ENT, 1)?
2. The New Testament was written almost betwixt ____ and ____ (ENT, 1).
3. What bark of materials were the New Testament instruments written on (ENT, 1)?
4. What is the sourceal/actual New Testament instrument determined (ENT, 1–2)?
5. Define codex in regard to the pauseing New Testament writings (ENT, 2).
6. What was the Latin codex assembly determined (ENT, 2)?
7. In the perpend of the New Testament, what does the dispose regulation allude to (ENT, 2)?
8. What three discourses did God select as the instrument for his self-revelation (ENT, 2)?
9. The Old Testament was primarily written in ______ (ENT, 2).
10. Parts of Daniel and Ezra were written in ______ (ENT, 2).
11. The New Testament was written in ______ (ENT, 2).
12. ______ ______was the discourse of the low community (ENT, 2).
13. Why do you reflect God unreserved the autographs to dissolve (see ENT, 3)?
14. In pique of the shortness of the autographs, almost 6,000 Greek manuscripts and an affixed 13,000 fragments of the New Testament instruments pause, providing telling manuscript trial for New Testament scholars (ENT, 3).
15. Motivators for a New Testament regulation embody the apoavow ________ and the apostateal move unreserved as __________ (ENT, 3).
16. Marcion was a _____________ who held a denying opinion of God as introduceed in the Old Testament (ENT, 3).
17. Marcion exceptional the Old Testament and as a outcome, he simply not spurious the Gospel according to Luke and ten Pauline epistles (ENT, 3).
18. ____________ was a move that plain in the second epoch AD. This apostateal move believed that deliverance was set in attaining “special knowledge” (ENT, 3).
19. Why are Marcion and Gnosticism so leading in ratio to a New Testament regulation (see ENT, 3)?
20. Discuss indelicate clues that top-out a regulationical sensation discurrent chief Christians (ENT, 3–5).
21. Call and reintroduce the six tests for recognizing whether a dimensions should be considered separate of the regulation (ENT, 5–6)?
22. Call two so-determined Gospels that were not considered dictatorial for Christians consequently they fall the criteria for regulationicity (ENT, 6).
23. What does the a priori discussion for the New Testament regulation of Scripture avow (ENT, 6–7)?
24. Delineate the five tops of the forestate upon which the a priori discussion for the New Testament regulation is fixed (ENT, 7).
25. What is the call of the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament that was performed encircling 200 years antecedently the rise of Christ (200–250 B.C.) (ENT, 7)?
26. Aramaic translations of the Hebrew Old Testament were unreserved as ________ (ENT, 7).
27. What is the variety betwixt an essentially close translation speculation and the professional or dynamic equivalence speculation (ENT, 10–12)?
Chapter 2: Interpreting the New Testament
1. Reintroduce the advent to interpreting the Bible recommended in the Essence of the New Testament (ENT, 15).
2. The opinion that “readers of Scripture must conceive the grammar and the truthful setting of the phrase in dispose to conceive uprightly and allot any phrase after a while confidence” is unreserved as the __________________________ to Scripture (ENT, 15).
3. Decisions respecting explanation are filtered through a person’s _______________ (ENT, 15).
4. What two total concepts should you preserve in soul when balbutiation the Bible (ENT, 16)?
5. What three types of conextract are searching to uprightly interpreting Scripture (ENT, 16–17)?
6. ______________ happens when a row of Scripture is quoted to make-trial-of a top after a whileout respecting the scholarly conextract of the row (ENT, 17).
7. Can trial extracting be effected uprightly? If yes, illustrate (ENT, 17).
8. The similitude of credulity alludes to the element that “Scripture accomplish never deny ____________” (ENT, 17).
9. The system of explanation begins after a while ______________ (ENT, 18).
10. Call the seven things to behold for when observing sentences (ENT, 19–20).
11. Call the five items to behold for when observing paragraphs (ENT, 21).
12. What is the restriction of the dispose “genre” (ENT, 21–22)?
13. What is the genre of the indelicate Gospels (ENT, 22)?
14. The New Testament learning were contrived to be __________ __________ for the authors who were not efficacious to be introduce (ENT, 25).
15. What is the main element of interpreting the learning of the New Testament (ENT, 25–26)?
16. Define extractual censure (ENT, 26–27).
17. Define beginning censure (ENT, 27).
18. Define produce censure (ENT, 27).
19. Define redaction censure (ENT, 27).
20. Define scholarly censure (ENT, 27).
21. Define sociological censure (ENT, 27).
22. Uprightly interpreting Scripture is leading for at moderationest two reasons. These are ______ and ______ (ENT, 28).
Chapter 3: The Fact Betwixt the Testaments
1. Almost how desire does the fact of the Jewish community betwixt the Old and New Testaments secrete (ENT, 31)?
2. What is the timeframe of the Babylonian Captivity (ENT, 31)?
3. What is the timeframe of the Medo-Persian Period (ENT, 32)?
4. What is the timeframe of the Grecian Period (ENT, 33)?
5. What is the timeframe of the Maccabean Revolt and Jewish Independence (ENT, 36)?
6. What is the timeframe of the Roman Period (ENT, 37)?
7. Jerusalem demolish to ______________, tyrant of Bablyon, in 586 BC (ENT, 31).
8. The __________ was destroyed when Jerusalem demolish to the Babylonians in 586 BC (ENT, 31).
9. Call the Medo-Persian tyrant who defeated the Babylonians in 539 BC (ENT, 32).
10. The Jerusalem church was rebuilt by 516 BC subordinate the start of ____ and _____; and after a while the assurance of the prophets ____ and ____ (ENT, 32).
11. During the Medo-Persian, __________ began replacing Hebrew as the low discourse of the portion of Judea (ENT, 32).
12. The expatiation of the Greek cultivation that began subordinate Alexander the Great is determined “______________” (ENT, 33).
13. What does the dispose “Hasidim” moderation (ENT, 36)?
14. What Jewish director gained restrain of and rededicated the Church by 164 BC (ENT, 36)?
15. ____________ is the commemoration of the rededication of the Church subordinate Judas Maccabeus in 164 BC (ENT, 36).
16. Call the Roman open who smitten Jerusalem in 63 BC (ENT, 37).
17. ________ thus-far conquered Jerusalem and became “Herod the Great,” tyrant of the Jews, masterful from 37–4 BC (ENT, 37).
18. Call and little reintroduce the six devotional groups that produceed during the Intertestamental Period (ENT, 38–39).
19. Discuss the judgment of synagogues (ENT, 39).
Chapter 4: The Essence of the Synoptic Problem and Jesus Studies
1. The _______ __________ alludes to the phenomena of twain telling similarities and varietys in the gratified of Matthew, Mark, and Luke (ENT, 42–45).
2. Mathew, Mark, and Luke entertain been determined the “_________ _______” gone Griesbach’s perpend in which he arranged these three Gospels in analogous columns (ENT, 43).
3. Instead of introduceing a capacious representation of Jesus’ conduct, the indelicate Gospels hold _____________ _____________ introduceations of the sayings and deeds of Jesus” (ENT, 45).
4. In attempting to retort the interrogation of beginnings, scholars must perpend twain the ______ and the ______ trial (ENT, 46).
5. Related to the interrogation of written beginnings for the regulationical Gospels, what does the superficial trial hold of (ENT, 46)?
6. The belief of ______________ affirms the ratification of the written Word of God (ENT, 46).
7. Where does the chief confirmation respecting the source of the Synoptic Gospels after from (ENT, 47)?
8. Call this speculation respecting the conformity of the Synoptic Gospels (ENT, 48).
Matthew (Jesus as King)
Mark (Jesus as King)
Luke (Jesus as Priest)
9. Call this speculation respecting the conformity of the Synoptic Gospels (49).
10. Call this speculation respecting the conformity of the Synoptic Gospels (50).