MPORTANT NOTE: Your professor has assigned the following short stories for the class to read and discuss this week:
- Welty, “A Worn Path”
- Faulkner, “A Rose for Emily”
- Hawthorne, “Young Goodman Brown”
- O’Brien, “The Things They Carried”
- O’Connor, “A Good Man is Hard to Find”
You must choose one of these stories to earn credit on the assignment.
Select one of the stories assigned by your instructor, and develop a one- or two-paragraph response to the following:
- Identify one of the main themes used in the story. Explain the message the author is conveying by telling the story in this way.
- Provide at least one specific example and at least one quotation from the story to illustrate your point.
- Discuss how this message affects your reading and interpretation of the story. Is the story more effective or powerful because this theme is included?
Theme refers to the underlying messages or major ideas presented in the story. The author presents some belief about life by telling the story in a certain way. You, as the reader, can interpret what message you received from reading the story, but you must be able to offer evidence to support your viewpoint by sharing examples and quotations from the story.
Remember to provide evidence for your claims in the form of quoted passages from the story. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries should be cited according to APA rules of style, including in-text and reference citations. Quoted material should not exceed 25% of the document.
Check grammar and spelling before posting.