It is common knowledge that two controversial issues in the American legal system are the types of criminal defenses and the manner of criminal punishment. In this assignment, you will explore both in their various forms.
Use the Internet or Strayer databases to research the types of criminal defenses and the manner of criminal punishment.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Just from $13/Page
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Specify the key points involved in the court determining the lawfulness of the use of force. Next, identify and then discuss the relevance of the factors a court or a jury will consider in determining what force is reasonable in self-defense.
- Argue for or against the use of the Castle Doctrine or stand your ground laws as a defense to prevent the rendering of a guilty verdict in a criminal homicide case. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Compare and contrast the defenses of diplomatic, legislative, and witness immunity. Analyze the overall role that the defenses play within the criminal justice system. Next, evaluate the general level of fairness of witness immunity to the defense. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Specify the two elements of the defense of entrapment. Next, support or critique the value of the defense within the criminal law system in the United States. Justify your response.
- Argue for or against the “Three Strikes”laws. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar types of websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the nature and history of American criminal law.
- Explain the role of individuals and federal, state, and local government agencies in crime fighting and prosecution of criminal offenses.
- Analyze the essential legal elements of criminal conduct.
- Contrast crimes against persons, crimes against property, and other types of criminal conduct.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in criminal law.
- Write clearly and concisely about criminal law using proper writing mechanics.