Osmosis | Biology homework help
WEEK 3 EXPERIMENT ANSWER SHEET
Please yield to the Week 3 Experiment dropbox no succeeding than Sunday midnight.
SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES FOR WEEK 1 EXPERIMENT ASSIGNMENT
· Experiment 3 Exertion 1 – Diffusion: Change-of-place of Solutes opposite a Membrane
· Experiment 3 Exercise 2 – Osmosis: Change-of-place of Introduce opposite a Membrane
Experiment 3 Exertion 1: Diffusion - Change-of-place of Solutes opposite a Membrane
We accomplish be using dialysis tubing to exhibit a semipercolable membrane. This tubing allows narrow molecules (e.g., introduce, ions, glucose) to by while preventing comprehensive molecules (e.g., macromolecules relish proteins, priggishness, glycogen) from concerning opposite. Be unquestioning you enjoy decipher aggravate the suggested embodied antecedently starting this exertion and that you enjoy reviewed the aftercited animations:
McGraw-Hill. 2006. How Diffusion Works
McGraw-Hill. 2006. How Osmosis Works
A. The dialysis bag we accomplish use is percolable to introduce and narrow molecules (e.g., close than 500 g/mol) and impercolable to comprehensive molecules (e.g., further than 500 g/mol).
B. The dialysis bag is occupied after a while a combination of glucose (molecular influence = 180 g/mol) and protein (molecular influence = 10,000 g/mol) dissolved in introduce. A narrow subsample of the dialysis bag interinterspace is saved and accomplish be used in Step 4.
C. The dialysis bag is then placed into a beaker of water. A narrow subsample of beaker introduce is as-courteous saved and is to be used in Step 4 as courteous.
The nearness or insufficiency of glucose and protein accomplish be steadfast using indicators. Indicators qualify colors in the nearness indubitable embodieds. The two tests that we’ll use are the Benedict’s test for rudimentary sugars (e.g., glucose) and theBiuret test for the nearness of proteins.
· If glucose is confer-upon, the Benedict’s indicator accomplish turn green. If no glucose is confer-upon, the key accomplish be blue.
· If protein is confer-upon, the Biuret indicator accomplish turn violet. If the key remains clear, then no protein is confer-upon.
4. The subsample of dialysis bag key and the beaker introduce are tested for the nearness of glucose and protein. SeeTable 1 under for the results.
5. The dialysis bag is then left in the beaker of introduce for 60 minutes.
6. At the end of 60 minutes, the dialysis bag key and the beaker introduce are frequently tested for the nearness of glucose and protein. See Table 1 under for the results.
Table 1. Results of testing of the dialysis bag and beaker interinterspace at the preparation and end of the Experiment.
Test for Glucose
Test for Protein
1. Summarize the results in-reference-to the nearness (+) or insufficiency (-) of glucose and protein in the dialysis bag and beaker in Table 2 under (4 pts):
2. Explain the change-of-place or bankruptcy of change-of-place of protein and glucose opposite the dialysis bag membrane (4 pts)
3. Which key, that in the bag or that in the beaker, is hypotonic compared after a while the protein key (2 pts)?
4. What factors concern the change-of-place of molecules opposite a semipercolable membrane? Which factor plays the highest role in biological systems (4 pts)?
5. Briefly elucidate what locomotive enravishment is and how it differs from byive enravishment, especially in provisions of eagerness gradients (4 pts).
Experiment 3 Exertion 2: Osmosis - The Change-of-place of Introduce opposite a Membrane
Before starting, let’s see what you apprehend encircling the provisions hypotonic, isotonic and hypertonic. Examine the diagrams under. Note that the narrow piercing circles reconfer-upon dissolved solutes relish salt, glucose, and amino acids. You can exhibit that the additional interinterspace enclosing the solutes is water and that the tan area is INSIDE the cell.
1. Define each signal under in provisions of solute eagerness without compared to the within of the cell. You do not need to elucidate which tendency introduce accomplish move (3 pts).
a. Hypotonic -
b. Isotonic -
c. Hypertonic -
1. Open the aftercited website to get started:
The Biology Place. No Date. Osmosis: Change-of-place of Introduce opposite Membranes
B. Read aggravate the counsel confer-uponed and then Click on
C. Then, Click on . Decipher through the counsel confer-uponed and be unquestioning to click on Animate beneath the regularity.
2. What eagerness of salt is isotonic to lewd cells (1 pts)?
3. When cells are in isotonic key, is there change-of-place of introduce into or out of the cell? If so, delineate this change-of-place (3 pts).
4. Click on .
E. Read through the counsel confer-uponed and be unquestioning to click on Animate beneath the regularity. When deciphery, reply the aftercited investigation.
4. Describe the net change-of-place of introduce molecules when cells are placed in a hypotonic solution. Explain why introduce moves this way (3 pts).
6. Click on
G. Read through the counsel confer-uponed and be unquestioning to click on Animate beneath each of the regularitys. Reply the aftercited investigations. Your replys should fuse the terminology used in the animations.
5. What happens to an lewd cell when placed in a hypotonic solution (2 pts)?
6. What happens to settle cells when placed in a hypotonic solution? What accounts for the disagreement in outcomes between lewd cells and settle cells (3 pts)?
8. Click on
I. Then, Click on . Decipher through the counsel confer-uponed and be unquestioning to click on Animate beneath the regularity. Reply the aftercited investigation.
7. Describe the net change-of-place of introduce molecules when cells are placed in a hypertonic solution. Explain why introduce moves this way (3 pts).
10. Click on
K. Read through the counsel confer-uponed and be unquestioning to click on Animate beneath the regularity. Reply the aftercited investigations.
8. Compare and dissimilarity what happens to plant and animal cells when placed in a hypertonic key. Be unquestioning to use just signalinology (4 pts).
9. Based on what you read in this exertion, elucidate why salt might frame a cheerful destroy killer (3 pts).
Week 3 Experiment Grading Rubric
Experiment 3 Exertion 1
Interpretation of results and demonstrated sense of diffusion (Table 2 and Questions 1-5).
Experiment 3 Exertion 2
Demonstrates sense of isotonic keys and no net change-of-place of introduce (Questions 1-3).
Demonstrates sense of hypotonic keys and the change-of-place of introduce (Questions 4-6).
Demonstrates sense of hypertonic keys and the change-of-place of introduce (Questions 7-9).