This week students will be addressing the following essay questions. Insure all aspects of the questions are addressed. Submission needs to be in APA format. Use a Level 1 heading to separate your sections (Page 62 of the APA Publication Manual).
- Discuss the various ways that ICD-10-CM coding is used throughout the United States. Why is accuracy in coding so important?
- Explain the difference between ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. When are they used?
- What impact does the ICM-10-CM manual have on healthcare and medicine in today’s world?
- What are the ten steps for accurate ICD-10-CM coding? State and explain each step in paragraph form
- In your own words, what is the difference between V, W, X, or Y code and a Z code?
- Explain when the following would be used and give an example of: Hyphen usage, checkmark, placeholders, and punctuation
For the following, provide the ICD-10-CM codes (some might require more than 1 code). There is a free website listed at the end of the Chapter on page 127 that will help you with coding. Here is another website that might help:
- Weight loss
- gastroesophageal reflux disease
- acute bronchitis with COPD
- urinary infection due to E. coli
- concussion, loss of consciousness 40 min
- cancer of bladder
- Physical, child for school
- DTP vaccination
- Heel injury (wound) due to broken glass
- This assignment must be in APA format: Times Roman 12 font, double spaced, and include title and reference page.
- Complete answers will essays will require at least 1000 words, approximately 4 pages (250 words = about 1 page). Title and reference pages do not count toward the total word or page count.
- Alignment of ICD codes should be completed after the essay questions and before the reference page.
- Title page and reference page do not count towards word count.
- Ensure sources are referenced and cited in the paper