Biology solutions 100% a+ | Biology homework help
Exam 3 Biology 1307
1. True or False. All protists are eukaryotic.
2. Chloroplasts arose via _____.
A. endosymbiosis of dinoflagellates
B. endosymbiosis of cyanobacteria
C. endosymbiosis of fungi
D. endosymbiosis of euglenids
3. According to the endosymbiosis plea, how multifarious membranes should a mitochondrion possess?
4. You are attached an hidden organism to identify. It is unicellular and heterotrophic. It is motile, using multifarious weak extensions of the cytoplasm. It has well-developed organelles and two nuclei, one vast and one paltry. This organism is most sfrivolous to be a ________.
E. slime mold
5. Which of the forthcoming statements is compatible after a while the assumption that protists are paraphyletic?
A. There is no vile set of synapomorphies that specify a protist
B. Protists all disunite a vile set of synapomorphies.
C. Protists are all past quaint than place places and voluptuouss.
D. Protists do not disunite a only vile source.
6. Encouraging the enlargement (via nutrient fertilization) of photosynthetic protists in marine environments may succor attenuate global interestionateing consequently _____.
A. the augmentationd oxygen consumption by vast populations of photosynthetic protists accomplish augmentation photoorganization in place places
B. photosynthetic protists are principal consumers in multifarious marine patronage chains
C. photosynthetic protists fix angelic carbon dioxide, decreasing angelic carbon dioxide levels
7. Encouraging the enlargement (via nutrient fertilization) of photosynthetic protists in marine environments may succor attenuate global interestionateing consequently ________.
A) photosynthetic protists are principal consumers in multifarious marine patronage chains
B) photosynthetic protists fix angelic carbon dioxide, decreasing angelic carbon
C) the augmentationd oxygen consumption by vast populations of photosynthetic protists accomplish augmentation photoorganization in place places
D) photosynthetic protists would quit a lot of oxygen, and fertilizing them would augmentation levels of oxygen in the atmosphere
8. Which of these taxa holds symbol that outcome powerful toxins that can suit liberal fish kills, defile shellfish, and envenom civilizeds?
A. red algae
9. Which of the forthcoming sway be a outcome of adding a subordinate consumer to the aquatic ecoscheme in the congenial conformance?
A. a diminish in the sum of principal consumers
B. a diminish in the population of decomposers
C. an augmentation in angelic carbon dioxide
D. an augmentation in the population of scavengers
E. a diminish in the carbon sink
10. The Irish potato famine was suitd by an organism that belongs to which symbol?
B. Trichomonas vaginalis
C. Giardia spp.
11. Which of the forthcoming eukaryotic lineages holds symbol that all stagnation powering mitochondria?
12. Pseudopods that can achieve phagocytosis and possess the ability to exsubstitute their cast are generally speciality of which clump?
C. slime molds
13. Which of the forthcoming is a synapomorphy that specifys all piercing algae and place places?
A. Seeds B. Vascular web C. Cell embankments D, Photosynthetic chloroplasts
14. One of the fish in your aquarium dies. Adding which protist to the inspire would authorize you to fly flushing the heavy fish by speeding its consumption?
A. an apicomplexan
B. a dinoflagellata
C. a inspire mold
D. a ciliate
E. a euglenid
15. According to the endosymbiotic plea, why was it adaptive for the vastr (host) cell to continue the engulfed cell free, rather than assimilateing it as patronage?
A. The engulfed cell granted the number cell after a while adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
B. The engulfed cell granted the number cell after a while carbon dioxide.
C. The engulfed cell authorizeed the number cell to metabolize glucose.
D. The number cell was able to survive anaerobic provisions after a while the engulfed cell free.
E. The number cell would possess been envenomed if it had assimilateed the engulfed cell.
16. Alternation of generations occurs in some protists. Which of the forthcoming represents the improve achievemention of equalts for this command of reproduction?
A. gametophyte → gamete → difcommingle → sporophyte → spore → gametophyte
B. sporophyte → spore difcommingle → gametophyte → gamete → sporophyte
C. gametophyte → difcommingle → sporophyte → spore → gamete → gametophyte
D. gamete → difcommingle → gametophyte →spore → sporophyte → gamete
17. In examining a protist, you observe that it stagnations a cell embankment, and has motion after a while cytoplasmic streaming. These postulates authorize you to retire that the symbol belongs to which of the forthcoming protist clumps?
18. Chagas ailment is unfurl by the “kissing bug”. This ailment desire 16-18 favorite persons environing the earth and suits environing 50,000 deaths year-by-year and is suitd by which protist?
B. Trichomonas vaginalis
C. Trypanosoma cruzi
19. Dysentery is suitd by _______________ and suits stern diarrhea. It is chiefly stipulated in countries after a while a interestionate clime and inconsiderable sanitary provisions. In some places it is known as “Montezuma’s revenge”. Which of the forthcoming protists suits dysentery
A. Entamoeba histolytica
B. Phytophthora infestans
20. What collision accomplish the dropping of place places possess on the contaminate?
A. Increase contaminate stability
B. Increase contaminate erosion
C. Increase nutrient levels
D. Decrease demeanor temperature
21. The superior power of the medicinal compounds in places is to _____.
A. as protection opposite herbivores
B. attract pollinators for germ dispersal
C. attract insects and birds to unfurl germs and fruits
D. defend the place opposite microbes
22. The most trodden sources of place places were probably _____.
A. liverworts and mosses B. piercing algae C. kelp (brown alga) D. cyanobacteria
23. What illustration indicates the motion of places from inspire to place?
A. sporopollenin to debar evaporation from concessions
B. dropping of erections that outcome spores
C. remnants of chloroplasts from photosynthesizing cells
D. waxy cuticle to diminish evaporation from concessions
24. Which of these occasion intervals, established on place fossils, came conclusive (most of-late)?
A. carboniferous swamps after a while hercules horsetails and ferns
B. commingle and mutation of angiosperms
C. dregs of place by present liverworts and mosses
D. liberal enlargement of gymnosperm forests
25. Angiosperms are the most lucky mundane places. Which of the forthcoming features is choice to them and succors statement for their achievement?
A. embryos enclosed after a whilein germ coats
B. sperm cells after a whileout flagella
C. fruits embracing germs which hold the place nucleus
D. bend pollination
26. Protists and bacteria are clumped into contrariant domains consequently _____.
A. bacteria are not made of cells
B. protists possess a membrane-bounded convenient-part, which bacterial cells stagnation
C. protists eat bacteria
D. protists are photosynthetic
27. The vocable gymnosperm refers to places _____.
A. after a while "naked germs" that do not outcome acmes
B. that are non-vascular
C. that acme
D. after a while germs escorted after a whilein a fruit
28. What stroke gives germs an habit balance spores?
A. Protected from the environment
B. Small in size
C. Contain nutrients
29. Which of the forthcoming was a canvass to the course of the chief place places?
B. too ample sunlight
C. a weakage of carbon dioxide
D. voluptuous predation
30. _____ are angiosperms.
B. Fiddlehead ferns
C. Sphagnum mosses
D. Pine trees
31. Primary outcomers such as places and piercing algae ____________.
A. Convert frivolous distillation (light) to chemical distillation (sugars)
B. Decompose consumptioning representative in contaminate to outcome distillation
C. Consume other organisms to outcome chemical distillation (sugars) and frivolous distillation (light)
D. Produce CO2 by achieveing photosynthesis
32. Plants produce multifarious ecoscheme services including product of oxygen and usurpation the contaminate. What is an ecosystem?
A. All the organisms or biotic rudiments in a feature area
B. All the prop and nonprop components in a feature area
C. The nonprop or abiotic components in a feature area
D. All places and voluptuouss in a attached region
33. Stoma (plural: stomata) are____________.
A. Small notoriousings mentiond pores enveloped by specialized escort cells
B. Watertight sealants outcomed by places to fly desiccation
C. Specialized organelles in place cells to achieve photosynthesis
D. Modified concessions in a place to fly predation by herbivores
34. Flowers, the reproductive organ of a acmeing place, has two key reproductive erections mentiond:
A. Seed and pistil
B. Stamen and fruit
C. Stamen and pistil
D. Seed and anther
35. The three deep ways in which pollen is delighted from place to place or acme to acme are:
A. Animals, bend, inspire
B. Wind, fungi, inspire
C. Animals, bees, bend
D. Fungi, inspire, insects
36. _____________ is a arrangement by which pollen is pestilential in places.
A. Pollen grains
37. True or False. The effeminate separebuke of the acme is the stamen.
A. True B. False
38. True or False. The deep power of the endosperm is to produce nutrients for the nucleus place.
A. True B. False
39. True or False. Plants and not algae are the deep principal outcomers in Earth’s oceans.
A. True B. False
40. True or False. Bryophytes such as mosses stagnation vascular web (xylem and phloem).
A. True B. False
41. Root hairs are most immanent to a place consequently they ________.
A. anchor a place in the contaminate
B. store starches
C. augmentation the demeanor area for absorption
D. produce a habitat for nitrogen-fixing bacteria
E. hold xylem web
42. As fuels, deepet and coal ________.
A) are the deep fuel sources in industrialized countries today.
B) are twain produceed from prop or fossil places.
C) are twain produceed underneathneath hurry deep in the Earth.
D) are sustainable as they are equal now being made at exalted rebukes.
43. Molecular phylogenies exhibition all place places are a monophyletic clump. This suggests ________.
A) there were multifarious contrariant transitions from aquatic to mundane habitats
B) bend-pollinated places arose chief
C) place places possess underneathgone a mutation past they chief colonized mundane habitats
D) there was a only transition from aquatic to mundane habitats
44. Which of these occasion intervals, established on place fossils, came conclusive (most of-late)?
A) liberal enlargement of gymnosperm forests
B) Silurian-Devonian eruptation after a while fossils of place lineages usurpation most of the superior morphological innovations
C) dregs of place by present liverworts and mosses
D) commingle and mutation of angiosperms
E) carboniferous swamps after a while hercules horsetails and lycophytes
45. Why are germless vascular places considered paraphyletic rather than monophyletic?
A) Some of the clumps after a whilein the germless vascular places are past air-tight kindred to each other than to other clumps (such as Lycophyta).
B) They disunite a past modern vile source after a while germed places than they do after a while the non-vascular places.
C) All of the clumps holded after a whilein the germless vascular places do not possess the selfselfsimilar source.
D) The clump includes their vile source but to-boot the germed progeny of that selfselfsimilar source.
46. Which set holds the most air-tight kindred vocables?
A) megasporangium, megaspore, pollen, ovule
B) microsporangium, microspore, egg, ovary
C) megasporangium, megaspore, egg, ovule
D) microsporangium, microspore, carpel, ovary
47. In the arrangement of occasion of generations, the ________.
A) sporophyte is haploid and outcomes gametes
B) sporophyte is diploid and outcomes spores
C) gametophyte is haploid and outcomes spores
D) gametophyte is diploid and outcomes gametes
E) spores integrebuke to produce a zygote
48. Where are you LEAST sfrivolous to see piercing algae?
A) as pink snow in the mountains in summer
B) growing symbiotically after a while fungi in lichens or after a while some invertebrebuke voluptuouss
C) growing inconsequently on dry cast in meadows
D) growing inconsequently on wet cast in ponds and lakes
E) natant in seas and oceans
49. When a mosquito profligate after a while Plasmodium chief delight a civilized, the Plasmodium ________.
A) gametes commingle, produceing an oocyst
B) cells corrupt the civilized liver cells
C) cells suit lysing of the civilized red respect cells
D) oocyst underneathgoes meiosis
50. Carbon dioxide enters the close measures of the leaf through the ________.
B) epidermal trichomes
E) embankments of escort cells
51. Which separebuke of a place absorbs most of the inspire and inanimates charmn up from the contaminate?
A) stem cap
B) stem hairs
C) the deep separates of the stems adjacent the ignoble of the stem
D) storage stems
E) sections of the stem that possess subordinate xylem
52. When an voluptuous cell is placed in a hypotonic breach and inspire enters the cell via osmosis, the body of the cell augmentations until it bursts. This does NOT fall to place cells, consequently ________.
A) they possess vast convenient vacuoles, which produce big measure for storage of incoming inspire
B) the conformation of their plasma membranes be-unlikes from that of voluptuous-cell plasma membranes in a way that produces ample elder strength
C) they possess cell embankments, which anticipate the memorandum of inspire by osmosis
D) they possess cell embankments, which produce hurry to counterinfluence the hurry of the incoming inspire
E) real gated utensil proteins embedded in their plasma membranes notorious as osmotic hurry diminishs, authorizeing extravagance inspire to concession the cell
53. Compared to a cell after a while few aquaporins in its membrane, a cell usurpation multifarious aquaporins accomplish ________.
A) possess a faster rebuke of osmosis
B) possess a inferior inspire powerfulial
C) possess a exalteder inspire powerfulial
D) possess a faster rebuke of free transport
E) be flaccid
54. Which cells in a stem produce a protective enclosure to the vascular scheme where all representatives must propose through the symplast?
55. You are conducting an exemplification on place enlargement. You charm a place modern from the contaminate that weighs 5 kilograms (kg). Then you dry the place balancenight and mention the dry power to be 1 kg. Of this dry power, how ample would you wait-for to be made up of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen?
A) 1 gram
B) 4 grams
C) 40 grams
D) 960 grams
E) 1 kg
56. Which of the forthcoming statements environing immanent nutrients are TRUE? Immanent nutrients ________.
I. are certain for place enlargement and reproduction
II. are required for a local erection or metabolic power
III.cannot be synthesized by a place
IV.are outcomed by symbiotic bacteria
A) I and IV
B) II, III, and IV
C) I, II, and III
D) I, II, III, and IV
57. Which criteria authorize biologists to disunite chemicals into macronutrients and micronutrients?
A) molecular power of the component or compound
B) the quantities of each required by places
C) how they are used in metabolism
D) whether or not they are immanent for place enlargement
58. A inanimate imperfection is sfrivolous to desire older concessions past than younger concessions if the ________.
A) inanimate is a micronutrient
B) inanimate is very inconstant after a whilein the place
C) inanimate is required for chlorophyll organization
D) inanimate is a macronutrient
E) older concessions are in trodden sunlight
59.Which of the forthcoming components improvely pairs an immanent component in places after a while its power?
A) nitrogen–component of nucleic acids, proteins, hormones, coenzymes
B) magnesium–component of nucleic acids, phospholipids, ATP
C) phosphorus–corudiment powering in protein organization
D) sulfur–component of DNA; activates some enzymes
60.Why is nitrogen fixation an immanent arrangement?
A) Fixed nitrogen is repeatedly the limiting rudiment in place enlargement.
B) Nitrogen fixation is very extravagant in vocables of metabolic distillation.
C) Nitrogen-fixing parts can be genetically engineered.
D) None of the above
61.Nitrogen fixation is a arrangement that ________.
A) recycles nitrogen compounds from heavy and consumptioning representatives
B) converts ammonia to ammonium
C) quits nitrebuke from the cast substrate
D) converts nitrogen gas into ammonia
E) recycles nitrogen compounds from heavy and consumptioning representatives and converts ammonia to ammonium
62.Which of the forthcoming, if used as a fertilizer, would be most instantly beneficial for place uptake?
63. In what way do nitrogen compounds be-unlike from other inanimates needed by places? Only nitrogen ________.
A) can be lost from the contaminate
B) can be granted by symbiotic bacteria
C) is needed for protein organization
D) is held by cation exsubstitute parts in the contaminate
E) can be attentive by stem hairs
64. What is the improve achievemention of steps during corruption of places by nitrogen-fixing bacteria?
A) Rhizobia quit Nod rudiments; stems quit flavonoids; rhizobia proliferebuke internally of stem hair; corruption line grows into the stem cortex; nodule produces.
B) Rhizobia quit flavonoids; stems quit Nod rudiments; rhizobia proliferebuke internally of stem hair; corruption line grows into the stem cortex; nodule produces.
C) Roots quit flavonoids; rhizobia quit Nod rudiments; rhizobia proliferebuke internally of stem hair; nodule produces; corruption line grows into the stem cortex.
D) Roots quit flavonoids; rhizobia quit Nod rudiments; rhizobia proliferebuke internally of stem hair; corruption line grows into the stem cortex; nodule produces.
E) Nodule produces; corruption line grows into the stem cortex; rhizobia proliferebuke internally of stem hair; rhizobia quit flavonoids and Nod rudiments.
65. Carnivorous places possess evolved mechanisms that stratagem and assimilate paltry voluptuouss. The products of this assimilateion are used to addition the place's minister of ________.
C) lipids and steroids
D) nitrogen, nutrient, and other inanimates
66. Which of the forthcoming statements environing nitrogen fixation in stem nodules is improve?
A) The place contributes the nitrogenase enzyme.
B) The arrangement is relatively inextravagant in vocables of ATP costs.
C) Leghemoglobin succors deeptain a low oxygen concentration after a whilein the nodule.
D) The arrangement tends to deplete nitrogen compounds in the contaminate.
E) The bacteria of the nodule are autotrophic.
67. Most of the dry magnitude of a place is partial from ________.
A) NO3- and CO2
B) K+ and CO2
C) PO4 and K+
D) H2O and K+
E) H2O and CO2