There are 2 parts to this assignment and should be submitted in different documents:
PART 1 – Introduction, Thesis Statement, and Annotated Bibliography
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review the
Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.)
Annotated Bibliography (Links to an external site.)
web pages, and
Evaluating Sources (Links to an external site.)
and Annotated Bibliography (Links to an external site.) tutorials.
Reflect: Reflect back on the Week 1 discussion in which you shared with the class the global societal issue that you would like to further address. Explore critical insights that were shared by your peers and/or your instructor on the topic chosen and begin your search for scholarly sources with those insights in mind.
For this assignment, review the
Annotated Bibliography Formatting Guidelines
and address the following prompts:
- Introductory paragraph to topic (refer to the Final Paper guidelines for your topic selection).
Write an introductory paragraph with at least 150 words that clearly explains the topic, the importance of further research, and ethical implications.
- Thesis statement.
Write a direct and concise thesis statement, which will become the solution to the problem that you will argue or prove in the Week 5 Final Paper. (A thesis statement should be a concise, declarative statement. The thesis statement must appear at the end of the introductory paragraph.)
- Annotated bibliography.
Develop an annotated bibliography to indicate the quality of the sources you have read.
Summarize in your own words how the source contributes to the solution of the global societal issue for each annotation.
Address fully the purpose, content, evidence, and relation to other sources you found on this topic (your annotation should be one to two paragraphs long—150 words or more.
Include no less than five scholarly sources in the annotated bibliography that will be used to support the major points of the Final Paper.
Demonstrate critical thinking skills by accurately interpreting evidence used to support various positions of the topic.
The Introduction, Thesis Statement, and Annotated Bibliography
- Must be 1,000 words in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
Title of paper
Course name and number
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources.
The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment. The Integrating Research (Links to an external site.) tutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
- Must document in APA style any information used from sources, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper. (Links to an external site.)
- Must have no more than 15% quoted material in the body of your essay based on the Turnitin report. References list will be excluded from the Turnitin originality score.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
PART 2 – Rough Draft Review Process Evaluation
Purpose: The primary goal of this weekly assignment is to enable you to understand the revision process and revise your paper with the help of a writing specialist.
Step 1: Prepare a shortened version of your Final Paper (at least four pages) by including the following:
- Introduction paragraph and thesis statement you developed for your Week 3 Assignment.
- Background information of the global societal issue you have chosen.
- Brief argument supporting at least two solutions to the global societal issue.
- Conclusion paragraph.
- Must document any information used from at least five scholarly sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) Note that you will need at least eight scholarly sources for your Final Paper in Week 5.
Step 2: After you have completed a rough draft of your paper, submit that draft to the Ashford Writing Center by using the instructions found in the
Paper Review (Links to an external site.)
page. Your paper will be returned within 24 hours, so give yourself enough time to complete and submit it prior to the due date.
Reflect: Carefully review the revision letter and the margin comments that you see on your returned paper. Consider each of the suggestions provided to help you to revise your paper.
What You Need to Submit to Waypoint:
- Upload the PDF document that contains the feedback from the Writing Center specialist.
- Submit the journal assignment answering the following questions in at least 400 words:
Identify the top three issues your writing specialist focused on in your rough draft (e.g., paragraph structure, proper use of quotations, thesis statement, etc.).
In what ways were those issues surprising?
Describe what you learned from some of the feedback your writing specialist provided as explanations.
Was this feedback helpful?
Evaluate the usefulness of the paper review tool.
In what ways did this activity improve your academic writing skills?
Will you use the Ashford Writing Center to review your work in the future? Why or why not?
Identify Writing Center Video Tutorials (Links to an external site.) that you find most useful and explain why. Also, identify tutorial(s) you found least useful and explain why.
The journal part of the assignment does not need to be formatted in APA style; however, correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation is required.